Tuesday, May 4, 2010

major damage

Well, things are pretty bleak here in Nashville. You may not have heard about this, because the national news thinks there are other things more important. Nashville got over 15 inches of rain in about 48 hours. The Cumberland River, which twists throughout Nashville has overrun it's banks. It crested last night at 51 feet. It has flooded downtown, the Country Music Hall of Fame, the Grand Ol Opry, the Titans stadium and many other places. The Opryland Hotel has 10 feet of water in it and all the guests had to be evacuated. The death toll in metro Nashville alone is over 10, I think. Our house is fine, but the street behind us is still flooded. There are two water treatment plants in Nashville. One has been compromised due to flood waters and has been shut down. They are sandbagging the other in hopes to save it from being flooded as well. We are all being asked to conserve water.

Ariel view of downtown:

Wide view shot of Broadway, downtown:

The Grand Ol Opry:

One of the areas hit the hardest, Bellevue:

I-24:

3 comments:

Marie said...

OH MY GOSH! I am so sorry Anna! How sad!

Brown Apples said...

this is incredible! I can't even wrap my mind around it. so thankful your house is ok-

Laura said...

That is crazy that the water level is at the street behind you! I'm so glad you guys are OK. Those were amazing photos...many of them were areas I saw just last September when I was in town! I hope things get better soon!